Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Ultimate Decision

A quick recap...  We found a mustang and chose to buy it against better judgement sinde we arlready had one, and the new one has all sorts of problems...

Ok, Up to this point I had not mentioned that the transmission gave off a shaking feeling when it shifted from 2nd to 3rd gear.  In the scheme of the other problems, it isn't a big deal.  I did some research and it is a common problem in the mustangs called a torque converter shudder.  A change of the fluid and filter along with an additive called Dr. Tranny will cure this problem at least temporarily.  If you want to do a permanant fix, you need to change the torque converter.

Alright on to the decision that we had to make.  Here were our options.

We sell the car, hoping the person we sell it to would not notice the problems and would have to fix it.  (this is what happened to us)
We keep the car and I rebuild the engine that is in it.
We keep the car and I put a used engine in it.
Well after reviewing our bank account and realizing how much money we spent on not one but two mustangs, we came to the conclusion of Option 1.

Let me first off say that i am not proud of that decision, but I am happy that a sale never occured.  I was lucky that it was late enough in the season that people were not interested in mustangs, let alone convertible mustangs.  It was about time to put them in the garage for the winter.  Needless to say I never got a call on it.

I took this as a sign that I needed to fix this car.  After some soul searching and whatnot, I am glad that It never did sell.  I could not knowingly sell that car to someone and feel good about myself.  I must say that the people who sold it to me should be ashamed of what they did as well.  I don't want others to do that to me, so I shouldn't do that to others.

Ok, at this point we are at option #2 or option #3.  Either way this is going to be a different engine in the car.  Once I started pricing out everything, I came to the realization that our best option would be to put a used engine in it.  They are much cheaper and are pretty plentiful to find.  A lot of the engines have relatively low milage on them as well.

So now the question is, where do I find one, and how to choose?  Find out in my next posting...  "Choosing the right engine"


  1. My decision point to get an new motor came when the cam bearings seized in my motor. Apparently when I installed a custom cam one of the cam bearings got out of line with an oil passage.

    The cam ended up being stuck in the block and when the shop went to press the camshaft out, the block cracked...

    So now i have a 347 DART stroker kit on order, but I might not have that ready to put in the car this summer. (Summer is very short in AK) So I decided to drop in a 62k gt40p explorer motor I found locally and will run that until the DART 347 is ready.

    1. Excellent reasoning. Get the car running was the primary goal. I am now contemplating if I should rebuild and stroke the engine I took out of the 95. It is really tempting, but expensive. So that will have to get cleared by my wife. :)